General Instructions for NASSS-serv@DU.edu
NASSServ is the unofficial listserv of the North American Society for the Sociology of Sport. Membership is limited to members of NASSS and to members of the International Sport Sociology Association (ISSA). At present, it consists of approximately 300 subscribers from over 13 countries including Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Japan, The Netherlands, New Zealand, South Africa, The UK, and The USA.
Appropriate topics of discussions include requests for help in information gathering for research or personal interest, calls for papers, announcements of positions available to include new publications and grant opportunities, and notices about conferences.
NASSServ is unmoderated however, our etiquette requires that all postings be signed. Anonymous posters will be contacted by the list manager and reminded of this policy; repeat offenders may be removed from the listserv.
How do I subscribe to a mailing list?
You can subscribe to NASSS-serv via (1) email or the (2) web:
1) Send an email to NASSSemail@example.com
2) Alternatively, visit the list information page and click on the NASSS-serv. You will then be presented with a subscription form where you can enter your email address, your name, and specify whether you would like to receive emails from the list one by one as they are sent to the list, or as a digest (a batch of messages, usually sent once per day).
Once you have initiated a subscription to NASSS-serv, you will receive a confirmation email. You must reply to this email in order to complete your subscription. This insures that the email address you provided is valid and reachable.
Frequently Asked Question: I am no longer able to post a message to a mailing list that I have previously used, what happened?
There are two common reasons why a subscriber to a mailing list can no longer post a message to that list:
- The subscriber is no longer sending email to the list from the same email address, so the posting to the list is being rejected. If you are having your email forwarded to a non-subscribed email address, this may be the problem. When emailing the list, the email originates from the non-subscribed email address, instead of the subscribed address. To fix this, see the FAQ entry: How can I change the email address which is subscribed to one or all du.edu mailing lists?
- The administrator of the mailing list has changed the settings of the list to hold postings for approval, or to disallow postings from anyone other than specific individuals (such as with an announcement-only mailing list).
How do I unsubscribe from a mailing list?
Send an email (originating from the email address which you want to unsubscribe) to NASSS-serv-unsubscribe@du. Reply to a confirmation email in order to verify that you do want to unsubscribe (this keeps others from forging your email address and unsubscribing you from a mailing list without your knowledge).
You can also unsubscribe via the web:
- go to the list information page, and click on the mailing list you’d like to unsubscribe from.
- click the “unsubscribe or edit options” button at the bottom of the mailing list’s info page.
- Login using the email address you would like to unsubscribe, and the password for your subscription (see the question about passwordsfor more information).
- Check the “Yes, I really want to unsubscribe” check box, and click the “Unsubscribe” button to immediately be unsubscribed. Note that if you have elected to receive emails from this list in digest form, you may receive one more digest after you have unsubscribed from the list.
If you need to unsubscribe an email address which you no longer have access to (such as an email address with a previous employer) please call 303-871-3450 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The NASSServ is managed by Dr. Brian Gearity, through the University of Denver. If you encounter any problems, have questions or suggestions, please contact him at email@example.com .